The APCE currently has 31 members, with more conference centres joining every year
Although it is a relatively new organisation, the Spanish Association of Conference Centres has already made a significant contribution to regional economies.
Conference centres are a relatively new phenomenon in Spain. In fact, there were not many of them around until the 1990s. However, in 1995, an enterprising group of professionals who realised the increasingly important role of event tourism decided to form an association whose mission was to share experiences and represent common interests. Thus, the Spanish Association of Conference Centres was born, with a healthy 21 members. The association was based on the model of the International Association of Congress Centres (AIPC).
The APCE currently has 31 members, with more conference centres joining every year.
The Spanish Association of Conference Centres was founded in Madrid on 13th November 1995. Its main aims are to:
- Represent and defend the collective interests of its members in their dealings with industry peers and with the relevant administrative authorities and to enable the exchange of experiences among its members.
- Undertake common projects aimed at promoting the figure of conference centres as the best place to hold an event, and to act as the mainstay of event tourism in Spain.
- Promote the exchange of experiences and ideas on event-related activities.
- Draw up proposals, formulate queries and reach agreements with the relevant administrative authorities.
The APCE’s main future projects are to:
- Promote the contribution conference centres make to Spanish tourism, in particular event tourism.
- Continue to represent a set of emblematic buildings of great architectural and civic value which help to generate considerable income for their local economies.
- Continue to act as a forum for debate and a cultural meeting point.
- Consolidate Spain’s position as a leading event tourism destination by offering attractive venues and providing competitive services to the international market.